Sunday, August 18, 2013

DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner


Every weekend like clock work I clean my used makeup brushes. It's important to remove the dirt, oil, makeup, bacteria, dead skin, and dust that build up on your brushes. Dirty brushes can cause breakouts and cause your makeup to look "grimey". With all that being said, I am not paying bookoo bucks for a brush cleaner when I can do it with items around my house for a fraction of the cost. 

Disclaimer: Steven impatiently took these pictures for me...If you have ever had your husband/boyfriend do this for you, you know what I am talking about lol

What you will need:

1) In a small bowl I mix together equal parts facial cleanser and vinegar, usually about 2 tbsp of each. You could use the vinegar mixed with a little water if you choose because vinegar is a disinfectant. I like to use facial cleanser because it helps with cleaning and it makes the vinegar smell non-existent. 

2) I pour 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a separate small bowl. When you was your brushes the bristles seem to dry out so it is essential to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a conditioner.


3) Have a stream of luke warm water running. It's important to not have the water too warm because it can cause the glue to loosen on the handle which can lead to fall out from your brushes. 

4) Next I take the makeup brush and dip it into each of the 2 bowls. You don't need a ton of product, just enough to work into the bristles.


5) Swirl the brush into the palm of your hand to work the cleaner into the brush and to remove all of the makeup and buildup on the brush.


6) Run the bristle part of the brush under the water making sure all of the cleaner is gone. I swirl the brush on my palm while rinsing as well because I feel it really gets the cleaner out. It is VERY important to keep the stream of water on the bristles because if you get the handle too wet it can cause the wood to swell and bristle fallout due to the glue breaking down. Make sure to keep the brush angled downward at an angle when rinsing. 


7) When the brush is rinsed softly wring out the brush and mold the bristles to its correct form. You don't want the brush to dry all crazy. 

8) I normally use a clean towel but I was rushing so I used paper towel this time to set the brushes out to dry on. You want to set the brushes on a downward slight angle so that any water left on the brush will not go into the rod. As you can see below I set mine at a high angle but I only left them like that for about 20 minutes because I feel like they drain faster that way. You DO NOT want to leave them like this because your bristles will dry curved. After about 20 minutes I lower them to only have a slight angle. 


9) Let them completely dry. This usually takes about 15- 20 hours. 

Quick Tip: If your brush rod has product buildup on it or looks gross, take a small amount of baby oil on a paper towel and rub it on the rod to clean it. Make sure to wipe all of the baby oil off though and your brush rod will look sparkling new. 

You should clean your brushes at least once a week and it is best to clean foundation and eye liner brushes daily. I know there are tons of other popular methods that work great, this is just the method I prefer. Make sure to follow me on Twitter and Google+ 

post signature

14 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am super bad about cleaning my brushes! I need to be more diligent! I am pinning your tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to never clean my brushes and then I watched some show about all of the bacteria that builds up in them and it freaked me out lol. Thank you for pinning this :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! Thanks for sharing!:)

    I'm running a giveaway on my blog at the moment if you want to check it out..

    http://polkaanddots.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/100-followers-giveaway.html

    Hugs, Brittany, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I wish I was in the UK so I could enter but I will share it on twitter

      Delete
  3. Great post! Always like learning new ways to clean our brushes!!!!









    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like DIY posts like this. Always to know a little trick or two, when it comes to cleaning your makeup tools :)
    (I guess i'm a big fan of different kind of DIY articles. Fun tu see what ppl come up with)

    Thanks for participating in our weekly Friendly Bunch Blog Hop. Good to have you.
    Hope you managed to find new blogs for your blog roll ;)

    Xo,
    Luchessa.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for following me and for sharing this post. I lvoe DIY posts as well. I like to see how others do things because their way could be something that I am interested in trying.

      thank you again :)

      XX

      Delete
  5. Great post, thank you Justina! I've been looking for a DIY brush cleaning tutorial and am definitely trying this out this week on my burgeoning brush collection :)

    Ruby Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! Will have to try it out next time, my brushes are always getting cleaned! Thanks for such a detailed and honest post, you put in so much work!

    Jess | www.gingerlypale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea :) I hate the thought of using a dirty brush
    Meg xx

    peachpips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, thanks for sharing!!! Beats having to buy brush cleaner so often!

    beautywithlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I can be quite lazy washing brushes but will be giving this a go!

    Rachel x

    thedrugstorelife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually found this blog and that is amazing thing I enjoy reading this easy to understand stuff. Keep it up.
    is bubblegum casting legitimate

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...