Friday, July 19, 2013

Makeup Confessionals

I love makeup, always have, always will. I have been obsessed since I was about 11 and got in trouble so many times for sneaking and wearing it when I was young.I know, I'm such a rebel LOL. I wore makeup everyday religiously for years and refused to ever leave the house without it. I was so self conscious with a bare face... I felt "ugly". How silly is that? 

This "ugly" feeling had to go. It is ridiculous to let something like makeup control the way I felt about myself.
When I got laid off from my job and moved to Kentucky I vowed that I would go 1 year without makeup. I did not know anyone but family where we were moving to and I wasn't working so I thought this would be the perfect time to kick this image issue in the butt. 


I'm not going to lie, it sucked big time and I felt so weird and out of place at first. I have lots of pink under tones, little red veins, and uneven skin tone so I felt like a friggin weirdo when I went in public. When I first started going into public bare faced I felt like everyone was staring at me...how conceited is that? LOL I was the only one who knew I was going without makeup so to think that everyone knew this and was thinking, how hideous, was ridiculous. 

Over time it became easier and easier and going out in public without makeup on became no big deal. My little bit of acne cleared up and it was so nice to give my skin a break. I am so lucky to have a man that loves me for me because he loved that I was going bare face all the time. He says it was because I am beautiful but I am still convinced it was because he no longer had to wait, for what he says is hours (so dramatic lol), to get ready.

I did it! I actually went over a year without makeup and I became comfortable in my own skin. I don't let something like makeup define who I am and how I feel. It is truly liberating. I LOVE makeup and everything about it so I have been wearing it again for the last 2 months. I don't have to wear it everyday and if I want to run to the gas station real fast, I don't have to throw makeup on to go. 

I have been replacing almost all of my makeup though (which has been so fun) because either it is now old or it got ruined from being in the garage all winter. It is so expensive and adds up quickly but I could never fully give up on makeup for good. What I got out of this experience: makeup is wonderful and can make me feel gorgeous and "put together" but there is no greater feeling than genuine confidence in myself.

Have you ever went on a makeup strike and went bare? Would you ever even consider it? Let me know what you think...and tell me what some of your favorite have-to-have products are so I can check them out. 


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hey, this is awesome, good for you! I can go without makeup now after taking a break. I do still feel better with it on, but hey, progress!

    My have-to-have is bareMinerals oil control primer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel better and more "put together" with makeup on also and I always will, no matter how comfortable I get with my bare face. Only now I am not mortified when people see me without makeup on. I will have to check out the oil control primer. I tend to get oily on the sides of my nose, cheeks, and chin so maybe it will help.

      Delete
  2. brilliant post, and good for you for getting over your insecurities :) I don't think I'd ever be able to give up makeup for such a long time, although I've been trying out lighter bases recently so I'm not relying on such heavy foundation all the time. Bet you're having fun buying all new things, I feel sorry for your bank balance though lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am not sure I would have officially started going bare face if I hadn't gotten laid off from my job. I feel like it is so important to look polished at work especially when working with clients, ect. But since I had time off work it was the perfect opportunity to challenge myself. I am loving buying all new makeup but oh my gosh is it expensive. It adds up so fast so I have to get a few things at a time and that can be so annoying lol.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...